I managed to replace the tqfp32 package Atmega328p of my MIDIpal and now it works!
As I don't own, but is now planning to buy, a SMD reworking station I was forced to use some techniques found on youtube to rid the broken MCU from the board and in the process I naturally managed to break two of the traces on the PCB. The technique used involves heating the legs of the component and with a thin wire under all the legs lifting one leg after another. It worked great for most of the chip but when I got impatient one of the traces got lifted and two broke of at the component leg. I managed to fix and use the lifted trace and the two broken traces I replaced with old thin scrap component legs soldered and fixed to the nearest possible component connected to the same node. It's not pretty but it works and doesn't look that bad actually.
I've had some time to play with it and find to be a very usefull tool. Kit MIDIpals are available now and prebuilt are comming in a handfull of weeks at the Mutable Instruments shop.
Now it's time for that Shrutivoks!
administrator wrote 461 Days Ago (positive)1Nice work, unsoldering SMD is a real pain in the butt0 points